30 March 2015

The End

I have been putting this post off for months.  I apologize to my faithful readers who have followed my blog for the past year.  It has been a hell of a journey and I'm glad to have had the opportunity to share it with all of you.

Since December 19, 2009, it has had over 5,600 hits from Kuwait, Germany, United Arab Emirates, Canada, Japan, Guam, United Kingdom, Australia, Bangladesh, Czech Republic, Iraq, Philippines, Ukraine, Austria, India, South Africa, New Zealand, Italy, Serbia, Denmark, Romania, Israel, Qatar, Singapore, Russia, Pakistan, Taiwan, Thailand, Croatia, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Netherlands, Hong Kong, Bosnia And Herzegovina, Spain, Slovakia, Poland, Ireland, Jordan, Portugal, Macedonia, and Belgium.  That's 42 countries!  Also, people in 45 states, including Hawaii and Alaska, and 6 provinces in Canada have followed my travels.  I am truly blessed to have so many people around the world reading my ramblings.

So, what happened??  Shortly after posting the last February post, I began examining my motivations behind my overseas travels.  I realized that, although the money was great, I wasn't having fun anymore.  I enjoyed Iraq, but Afghanistan just wasn't my cup of tea.  I felt unsupported and forgotten by my company, which is not a great feeling 10,000 miles from home.  I began investigating my options, eventually taking the early non-renewal option on my contract. 

While away from home, I believe that one has to neccesarily distance oneself from family and friends in order to mentally cope with and survive the extended absence.  While in Kuwait and Iraq, I "forgot" about home, about the friends I had left behind, and about the family experiences that I was putting off.  However, I was unable to do that on this trip.  I am getting married in 6 weeks and am happier now than ever before.  Do I miss the money?  Sure, but I've found something much more important.

It has been said that sometimes in the course of looking for what you want, you find what you need.  I would say that has certainly been the case.  My experiences overseas have changed me in profound ways.  My grandmother told me before I left that I would come back different, but I brushed it off.  However, she was right.  I don't have the words to describe how my outlook on life has changed, but I am a different person than I was a year ago.  I hope, a better person. 


Now, for pictures of my "last days." 

As promised, I finally was able to capture some great pictures of the decorated semi trucks used to transport everything from ammunition to food to gear from base to base.  Great attention to detail and artistry is evident in many of these trucks. 


TRUCK PICTURES




As some of you may know, I had started losing weight almost as soon as I got boots down in Afghanistan.  I started the trip at 280 (274 officially) and landed in Chicago on April 2nd at 225.  I didn't cut my hair or shave for almost the entire time, making those 80+ days the longest I have ever went without shaving. 


WEIGHT COLLAGE



The day before I left, M.M. had a suprise up his sleeve.  He asked me to follow him and trekked off towards the drone compound.  I have previously described how the drones fly right over our clinic every morning at launch.  Today, M.M. had arranged for us to be present during the launch of one of the Allies major weapons in the war on terror in Afghanistan.  This was definitely one of the highlights of my time overseas. 


DRONE



I now go to whatever life has in store for me.  I have no idea what is "around the bend", but I'm sure that it will be an adventure.  Life's a journey, not a destination.  Thank you all for reading. 


THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment