06 June 2009

Sandstorm City and Barbeque Pictures






They bought us a grill so we decided to have a grill potluck and see how stuffed we could make ourselves. You can see on the picture chickens, beef sausages, peppers. We also had vegetables and regular beef hotdogs. Before anyone asks, I can't tell you the names of the guys in the pictures. OPSEC.

We woke up this morning to a sandstorm that blew up overnight. It happens twice or three times a week over here it seems. Mission one has become finding a scarf for my face and nose for when I'm on base. If it is this bad in the city, it will be a lot worse in the desert on the base.

We are cleaning our apartments three times a week from top to bottom and we still can't keep the dust down. You live in the dust, live with the dust. It has just become part of our lives. I understand why everything over here is tile. Every time I lay down at night in my bed, I can smell the dust. No one's allergies are acting up that I know of, but a few guys have had some upper respiratory problems because of the dust and dry air. I have so far, skirted most of the problems that have plagued some of the other guys. I got slightly dehydrated night before last and yesterday morning; I wasn't paying attention to how much I wasn't drinking. You realize it fairly quickly because you get a very bad headache that comes on quickly. I am drinking anywhere from a gallon to a gallon and a half of water a day, and I can only assume when we start working on the base I will be drinking more.

**Edited on 13 JUN 2009. I don't think that I ought to show the guys' faces like I had them.

1 comment:

  1. Looks good..hows work started shifts yet..are they 48 on and 48 off?.Im leaving tomorrow for Cape Canaveral for training.

    ReplyDelete