08 September 2009

I'm not sure how I feel now that I'm in Iraq. "Finally" comes to mind. But so does relieved, depressed, happy, anxious, bored, and excited.

Iraq is certainly different than Kuwait. Even though it wasn't where I was originally scheduled to go, I feel lucky that I was able to live in Kuwait for a few months. I think I have a totally different perception of the people and culture than I would have had I only lived on base in Iraq. I met some amazing people, contractors and locals, and had some amazing experiences. I can only wonder what Iraq will hold in store. I am excited to see what the coming year will bring, how I will change, how the world will change. It still amazes me that 7 months ago, I wouldn't have dreamed I would be where I'm at right now.

I have been in country two days and my CHU still isn't cleaned. I had my head light on last night when I got up and was appalled to see how much dirt was swirling in the air as I moved, so I turned it off. What I can't see won't hurt me, right? Consequently, my sinuses have been driving me crazy and I'm thinking about buying stock in the Claritin company. As soon as I get my one day off a week, I am moving everything from the CHU out on the sidewalk and cleaning everything from top to bottom. It definitely needs it.

Outside my housing pod looking left,


and right.



Behind all the walls, looking down the sidewalk.




Our clinic

No comments:

Post a Comment